Senior members: Where are you at now?

Anything concerning anything.

Moderators: Admins, Mods

Re: Senior members: Where are you at now?

Postby Mejust on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:04 pm

If it works for you, you could check out the dancing scene. Before I grooved, I played instruments, and these days I dance balfolk and blues. It scratches the same itch.
Mejust
0%
0%

Postby Crazy_Musician on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Let's see here:

- Got married
- Went back to school for an Electrical Engineering degree
- Don't play ITG much anymore, maybe once every couple of months since I've lost interest in general. Pump and SDVX are my main rhythm games now
- Somehow got a step artist position for PIU Infinity and helped make that happen from release (2013) to 1.10 patch (2016)
- Started speedrunning games
- Still keep in touch with various communities via FB, Skype, events, etc.
Crazy_Musician
40%
40%

Postby shadowobsessed on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 am

Fraxtil wrote:I was gonna get a Precision pad after I moved out of my current apartment but then I ran out of options and I'm stuck with 3rd floor myself so I guess I'm just giving up on dance games forever now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not a "senior" member but that pretty much sums up my situation. Moved to a city 4 times as big as where I used to play (Tucson -> Phoenix), no decent dance games in town. At least I can still write charts, even if I can't play them...

I'm sorry to hear that :( I'd keep my eyes on Round 1, they've been announcing new locations. It's mainly been along both coasts so far, but they're constructing one in Colorado and there are two in Texas now.

Crazy_Musician wrote:Let's see here:

- Got married
- Went back to school for an Electrical Engineering degree
- Don't play ITG much anymore, maybe once every couple of months since I've lost interest in general. Pump and SDVX are my main rhythm games now
- Somehow got a step artist position for PIU Infinity and helped make that happen from release (2013) to 1.10 patch (2016)
- Started speedrunning games
- Still keep in touch with various communities via FB, Skype, events, etc.

Congrats on the marriage, the degree and step artist position! Man, that seems like a rare job to land.

For me, I'm trying to find someone to replace me at my job so I can start training them and leave mid-August. Trying to find a cheapish car to drive cross-country with my boyfriend. I'm excited to move, and looking forward to both MAGFest and the new Round 1 they're building in Exton, PA which is due to be completed in the springtime. I'll definitely be visiting!
shadowobsessed
101%
101%

Postby /// on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:18 pm

/// wrote:i'm a senior in high school. i went from being sm5 jihadist extraordinare and a quite annoying individual to a prospective math major and occasional player of video games in these short 4 years and one and a half months.

also i mentioned this on AIJ as well but i'm moving to Cambridge, MA in two months to study at some kind of Institute of Technology so that's pretty exciting. maybe some of the east coast stamina will rub off on me when i'm not dying of homework
<@roothorick> my one girl couldn't keep a job and cycled between homeless and living with her parents
<@roothorick> I don't know how I didn't see the writing on the wall
<Kyzentun> Because she didn't have a wall at the time.
///
90%
90%

Postby Horsey on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:05 pm

get the groove out you're going to MIT
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby /// on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Horsey wrote:get the groove out you're going to MIT

trust me, i can barely believe it myself.
<@roothorick> my one girl couldn't keep a job and cycled between homeless and living with her parents
///
90%
90%

Postby Telperion on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:49 pm

holy shit, congrats. You have slashed and hacked your way to the top

@@- wrote:
CondorTalon wrote:I'm in. I promise not to submit a shitty anime remix this time.
This sounds like something someone who wants to submit a shitty anime remix and not get found out immediately would say

Telperion
90%
90%

Postby Kommisar on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:00 pm

I feel like grandpa stepmania at this point

I've been playing for 13 years and making files for 11 of them. The ITG scene here died out completely in 2011 but I still enjoy a game here and there. I still occasionally make keyboard files but I haven't made a pad file since 2011 either.

I'm 26 and I'm going back to university for 4 years. maybe i'll meet other nerds there who haven't given up on the dream. The east coast of canada only has 2 itg machines now tho :(

The FFR community still meets up at Anime North every year and it gets bigger very year. We were like 40-50 this time around. Met countless folks through rhythm gaming, but I kinda wish I could've gotten more in touch with ITG peeps.
Kommisar
60%
60%

Postby B54E on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Hmm lets seem, local machines vanished and the local group kinda split up so that was a big killer. Oh and getting banned here a bunch :p Now these days i make music instead of playing music games and um yea adult life sucks but being able to make music all day is a blessing. SM and ITG have shaped me musically for sure
B54E
10%
10%

Postby shadowobsessed on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:40 pm

News from me: I moved to Pennsylvania about September 3rd or so, after taking a 10-day roadtrip with my boyfriend from California. We stopped to see some friends along the way in Portland, Seattle, Missoula, some small town in North Dakota, and in Wisconsin.

Barely three weeks after living there, I decided to accept a job offer from Round 1 as the Amusement Manager for the new location that's opening up in Exton, PA! I'm currently training out-of-state in Arlington, Texas at the APM location for a month and a half. Crazy stuff!

/// wrote:also i mentioned this on AIJ as well but i'm moving to Cambridge, MA in two months to study at some kind of Institute of Technology so that's pretty exciting. maybe some of the east coast stamina will rub off on me when i'm not dying of homework

Holy crap, amazing job!! That's definitely something to be proud of.

Kommisar wrote:I feel like grandpa stepmania at this point

I've been playing for 13 years and making files for 11 of them. The ITG scene here died out completely in 2011 but I still enjoy a game here and there. I still occasionally make keyboard files but I haven't made a pad file since 2011 either.

I'm 26 and I'm going back to university for 4 years. maybe i'll meet other nerds there who haven't given up on the dream. The east coast of canada only has 2 itg machines now tho :(

The FFR community still meets up at Anime North every year and it gets bigger very year. We were like 40-50 this time around. Met countless folks through rhythm gaming, but I kinda wish I could've gotten more in touch with ITG peeps.

The funny thing is that when we grow older, we'll all be Bemani grandparents. "Back in my day, I FC'd MAX 300 on my first try..." I started playing SM about 12 years ago, but then again I also haven't played for the last two or three. I've never been to Canada, so I have no idea what the local scene was like during its heyday. Were there a lot of players?

I never really played FFR too much, mainly because it always seemed to lag on my computer so I could never get a decent score.

B54E wrote:Hmm lets seem, local machines vanished and the local group kinda split up so that was a big killer. Oh and getting banned here a bunch :p Now these days i make music instead of playing music games and um yea adult life sucks but being able to make music all day is a blessing. SM and ITG have shaped me musically for sure

Where are you from? I'm always interested in studying which areas have active and inactive players. And I can second that, music games definitely inspire music-making.
shadowobsessed
101%
101%

Postby b4mV on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:13 pm

So some stuff changed since March when I posted.

I bought a house with my girlfriend and moved in. Took more responsibilities at work, now I'm a Jr. Sys Admin. Built a bar for my Precision Dance Pad, and started playing dance games again. Built a bemani PC and started playing PopN', and soon SDVX.

Interesting how much life can change in 6 months. Can't wait for your Round 1 to open, I'll probably be there monthly. I'm ~2 hours away.
b4mV
101%
101%

Postby Crazy_Musician on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:18 pm

shadowobsessed wrote:Barely three weeks after living there, I decided to accept a job offer from Round 1 as the Amusement Manager for the new location that's opening up in Exton, PA! I'm currently training out-of-state in Arlington, Texas at the APM location for a month and a half. Crazy stuff!

Wow, congrats on the position! Wouldn't mind meeting you while you're still in town, my wife and I are usually up at GVM on Wednesdays and Sundays and most of the regulars are in and out there.
Crazy_Musician
40%
40%

Postby /// on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:51 am

June Chan wrote:I am here in Zhuhai, China, attended the Hennessy Music Party, what about you.

http://en.liri-tents.com/liri-50m-span- ... _info.html

wow, a lot can happen in 16 minutes
///
90%
90%

Postby Slayer³ on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Kyzentun wrote:I am so tempted to upload the copy of Storytime DX I have. But Dark Luke requested it not be shared.

Yes, do it!!!
I am extremely curios and want to play it now!!!
Finally close to the stamina I had 5+ years ago.
Got the speed-up part of V² in doubles for the first time since like 2008 :D

shadowobsessed wrote:Big decision time: my boyfriend and I are moving to Pennsylvania in August. I'll be visiting 8otB and maybe some Maryland arcades semi-regularly, but especially the Round 1 they're building near Philly. No idea if I'm going to keep my career (I know I can get good recommendation letters), I might opt for something simple and less stressful as I get acclimated to the area.

PA, awesome!!!
I hope your move went well.
If you ever come by to NH with your boyfriend you'll have to stop by Sigma's.
If you're not in the group for his basement, send me a PM and I'll give you my Facebook info.
(DDR/ITG, 2 IIDX machines, Drummania, Sound Voltex, Jubeat, PC setup, console setup, Espaluga)

shadowobsessed wrote:
Slayer³ wrote:I went from sounding awful to sounding ok (IMO) after years of lessons and daily practice.
I hope once it's done everyone can find a few songs they like. I'm looking forward to working on newer material.

Good job!! I'm a singer too, though I've never taken lessons. Working on a full album with my boyfriend to release soon. :)

Thanks!!
Awesome that you're project is coming through soon.
Lesson's help. I highly recommend them if you can afford them.
But only if it's the right teacher for you. If not, then stop immediately.
My first vocal coach asked me, "Why bother learning to sing at your age?"
Needless to say, I did not stick with them.

Great book I recommend is, "Raise Your Voice" by Jaime Vendera.
I've read many, and he doesn't invent terms to over-complicate things, and includes a lot of other advice for vocal health, etc. He is also a vocal coach, and works with both amateurs and professional acts like: James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Terry Ilous (XYZ, Great White), Matt Devine (Kill Hannah), Clayton Stroope (Thriving Ivory), Ben Thomas (Dweezil Zappa), Phil Taylor (Future Leaders of the World, Machina), Lizzy Devine (former Vains of Jenna singers), Bob Harris (Steve Vai, Zappa).

He has a friendly style, and his material has been instrumental in my own singing development + refinement.

Also, if you need any connections or advice when it comes to mixing and mastering definitely let me know.
I own a studio edition of Digital Performer 8, and my band went to 3 different studios throughout our recording process.

I can at least give you a few pointers of what to avoid and make sure of, so you can save on the costs.
Slayer³
50%
50%

Postby ServerOfTheAlter on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Fraxtil wrote:
shadowobsessed wrote:
b4mV wrote:I also really don't play dance games much anymore. Got tired of pissing off neighbors, I'm in a 3rd floor apartment.
EDIT: holy shit my 9 year anniversary here is coming up

Congrats on the job, that sounds like a nice steady position! I hear you about keeping quiet - I lived in a duplex for too many years. It meant I couldn't express myself with instruments and games like I wanted to. Suuucks. And happy anniversary!

I was gonna get a Precision pad after I moved out of my current apartment but then I ran out of options and I'm stuck with 3rd floor myself so I guess I'm just giving up on dance games forever now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not a "senior" member but that pretty much sums up my situation. Moved to a city 4 times as big as where I used to play (Tucson -> Phoenix), no decent dance games in town. At least I can still write charts, even if I can't play them...

Do you ever play on the DDR at westgate?

/// wrote:
Horsey wrote:get the groove out you're going to MIT

trust me, i can barely believe it myself.

When are we recording our minecraft Let's Play I've been waiting three years
SteveReen wrote:fukckjksjdkfsj. pegusiuususi.
ServerOfTheAlter
40%
40%

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion