Senior members: Where are you at now?

Anything concerning anything.

Moderators: Admins, Mods

Senior members: Where are you at now?

Postby shadowobsessed on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 pm

I like to check in a few times a year and see what's changed around here. I've noticed that we no longer have forum games and there hasn't been a site pack for a while, but it looks like other people still log in once in a while too.

Would anyone like to share what they've been up to lately, in terms of the real world? Got any crazy stories or pictures of arrow tattoos to share?

For me, I went from being stuck at a dead-end arcade forever to working in the journalism field. I'm finishing up my last semester at a junior college (I'll have 6 degrees because I was there forever), and I'm planning on moving to Pennsylvania later on in the year. It's hard to maintain motivation for music games sometimes, but I can never quite seem to fully separate myself, and I always come back eventually. If anyone wants to keep contact outside of r21freak that I'm not already friends with on other social media, let me know.

For those who don't know me, I was never much of a step artist but I have fond memories of a thriving community, dumb inside jokes and a lot of constructive community input for people who were learning how to make stepcharts. I live in California, but I once had the honor of staying with sssmsm/ohisian/Gloves/Junkyard Dawg, as well as Patashu. I've also gotten to meet TEEX, Edo, joe#2, Derkomai, ICNH, Ninjafar, Monsterjoe, and more people that I don't remember the usernames of, and people who live locally to me (Brother Mojo, Constable, winner of the last Best of the West, others). Also used to have good Skype and AIM parties and talk about the dumbest things.

It's actually still my goal to finally master the art of stepping and make a pack for my own pleasure, since I've only done some crappy individual files and mini-packs. I'm downloading OpenITG fresh since this is a different comp and my external HD broke. I'm kind of marveling at the weird fossilized remains that I'm digging through to find the files I remember, haha.
shadowobsessed
101%
101%

Re: Senior members: Where are you at now?

Postby joe#2 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:42 pm

I've quit stepmania entirely and do nothing but speedrun necrodancer 99% of the time
Kyzentun wrote:
@@- wrote:What's your favorite sex position?

Paizuri.

joe#2
102%
102%
Former Staff
Former Staff
FotW Helper
FotW Helper

Postby Dark Luke on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:53 am

I still occasionally visit here. I hope to finish up my WIP pack projects sometime in the future, but I have a full time job at this moment...

I still continue to make my existing packs available for download (in my signature).
Nightwish doubles pack

(DX only, full length songs)

Legacy packs:
Stomp Exceed (2003-2010)
(full singles + doubles)

Resident nobar doubles player.
Dark Luke
80%
80%
Former Staff
Former Staff
A Fairly Dark Luke
A Fairly Dark Luke
Comp II - 2nd
Comp II - 2nd

Postby SM MaxX on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:28 pm

working a job I hate but the money let's me go see friends more often so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm so demotivated to step stuff anymore but mostly because I haven't had decent machine access for years now
ITG Jesus wrote:I am the jesus of the ITG world and one of my favorite songs is I can walk on water I can fly
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Postby Kyzentun on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Horsey wrote:So just stop charging money. I'm tired of people making money from something that can be copied with ctrl + c

SM MaxX wrote:wow groove you ziv I just wanted to post frosted butts
Kyzentun
100%
100%
Double Comp I - 2nd
Double Comp I - 2nd

Postby NIQ9 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:38 pm

I visit on occasion. This site will always hold a special place in my heart. It's really hard to believe that the site is almost 9 years old!

As for real life stuff, I've been staying busy. I work full time and I'm still a full time student working toward a teaching degree. I came out of the closet this last summer, so that's a thing. Also, I'm not a fat as I was before.

I still make stepcharts and I still play ITG regularly, but it's pretty rare that I release any of my simfiles.

Who have I met from here?... hmmm
I met TEEX and xynn at FRIV
I met Charles (mudkyp) at a tournament
I think that's it. If anyone else was at FRIV, I don't remember D:
I know he's not active on this site, but I went up against Dr.D in a DDR tournament (and actually won my song pick) in June, so that was cool.

If anyone wants to meet IRL, I attend Youmacon in Detroit every year and I attend ColossalCon in Sandusky, OH every year as well. I'll probably be at Midwest Media Expo in Dearborn, MI this year too (basically, all of the Tokyo Attack events nearby).
Valex wrote:having opinions on things is bad because dance games
NIQ9
102%
102%
Former Staff
Former Staff

Postby shadowobsessed on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:05 pm

I feel like when the site was more active a few years back, people might have had more free time, but people have been busy adult-ing and working their way up. At least, I think that's what greatly contributed to the lull in users.

However, I'm currently teaching someone ITG and trying new packs with them, and that's kind of exciting. I forgot what it's like from a new perspective. Bringing in new people really changes it up so it doesn't feel as stale any more. (On a related note, if anyone knows of any really good Medium charts that stick out, let me know! He's currently on 5's and working his way up.)
shadowobsessed
101%
101%

Postby NIQ9 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 pm

shadowobsessed wrote:I feel like when the site was more active a few years back, people might have had more free time, but people have been busy adult-in and working their way up. At least, I think that's what greatly contributed to the lull in users.

That's true. We get a few new people in the community once in a while, but for the most part, it's been the same people in the community all these years.

There's a thread in the Administration forum right now that alludes to this. Technically, it's against the rules to quote from that forum, so I won't quote anyone else, but here's my post:

NIQ9 wrote:I mean, I still visit the site once in a while. I still play ITG on a regular basis and I don't think I've downloaded a simfile from this site in years. We still exist as a community, and that's awesome, but to be entirely honest, there's more discussion on Facebook than on forums these days. Plus, any song pack that's released is advertised all over Facebook anyway.

As for the moderation aspect of the site, I do take care of the reported posts when I see them, but that's not too often. If a thread I'm reading needs to be moderated, I'll step in, but I don't go out of my way to read every topic when I'm here like I used to.
Valex wrote:having opinions on things is bad because dance games
NIQ9
102%
102%
Former Staff
Former Staff

Postby Valex on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:17 am

I play dance games and write simfiles a lot still, though I've been focusing more on Pump lately
IRL wise I graduated college and am attempting to find employment. I think I started actively posting here at the end of HS/beginning of college ._.
Not sure if I count as a senior member though, but I've still been around here for a long-ass time lol
"10.5/10, it's OK" - Me
Valex
101%
101%
FotW Helper
FotW Helper

Postby T-Dog! on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:11 am

shadowobsessed wrote:(On a related note, if anyone knows of any really good Medium charts that stick out, let me know! He's currently on 5's and working his way up.)

Off of the top of my head, all of Valex's packs, Fraxtil's packs, CondorTalon's , Rikames, and all of Sudzi's packs (except the first) have full singles, and lots of various packs released on this site since 2011/2012 started to implement full singles/some doubles included, instead of singles expert only like the pre 2011 stuff. If I can think of other examples, I'll be sure to post about it.
ImageImage
T-Dog!
90%
90%

Postby Psychotik on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:45 am

I was gonna make a short one-sentence jokey post, but I guess I should flesh out a little of what I'm doing since I count as a senior member.

I'm pretty much no longer active at all within the dance games community. I no longer make stepcharts or play any kind of rhythm game. I still browse the forums now and then and post very occasionally, but other than that, my presence is very limited. I've used all of that free time to focus on my career: quality assurance (specifically in video games). I started out as a tester back in 2012 and now I'm a high-level senior in charge of supervising the team, tracking performance, setting and changing tasks throughout the day, communicating with producers and developers and basically just making sure shit gets done. I love my job and and the people I've met there and wouldn't have found a better place to focus my energy.

If I have any regrets with my time spent in the dance games community, it's that I've never gotten to meet the vast majority of the community, especially those from this forum. I've always seemed to squander social opportunities. :(
TEEX wrote:I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants. :oops:
Psychotik
102%
102%
Mr. Green
Mr. Green
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shadowobsessed on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:48 am

I don't want to have to post like ten times in a row, so I'm just gonna do a monster quotepost.

joe#2 wrote:I've quit stepmania entirely and do nothing but speedrun necrodancer 99% of the time

For some reason, I still have yet to play that game. Maybe because you're the only person I've seen post about it, and I'm afraid I'd get sucked in forever.

Dark Luke wrote:I still occasionally visit here. I hope to finish up my WIP pack projects sometime in the future, but I have a full time job at this moment...

I hope you do, too! I remember playing your original stuff. It was always refreshing that you would step different types of music than the typical happy hardcore or Sharpnel-type stuff.

SM MaxX wrote:working a job I hate but the money let's me go see friends more often so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hear ya, it's always a trade-off when it comes to work. I guess the most important is compromising to find something that you can wake up and do every day. It's still important to leave room for the things that bring you joy, though.

Kyzentun wrote:This is what I do now: https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania/releases

Wait a second, do you officially work for StepMania or something?? If so, that is really freaking awesome.

NIQ9 wrote:As for real life stuff, I've been staying busy. I work full time and I'm still a full time student working toward a teaching degree. I came out of the closet this last summer, so that's a thing.

Working and studying, the daily grind! That's really cool, I didn't know you wanted to be a teacher. I think about that sometimes, and I commend you for carrying on such a noble profession. Also, I saw your coming-out on Facebook, yay congratulations!!

Valex wrote:IRL wise I graduated college and am attempting to find employment. I think I started actively posting here at the end of HS/beginning of college ._.
Not sure if I count as a senior member though, but I've still been around here for a long-ass time lol

What's your degree in? Congrats on your graduation! Also haha yeah I'd consider you a senior member, you joined before me!

T-Dog! wrote:
shadowobsessed wrote:(On a related note, if anyone knows of any really good Medium charts that stick out, let me know! He's currently on 5's and working his way up.)

Off of the top of my head, all of Valex's packs, Fraxtil's packs, CondorTalon's , Rikames, and all of Sudzi's packs (except the first) have full singles, and lots of various packs released on this site since 2011/2012 started to implement full singles/some doubles included, instead of singles expert only like the pre 2011 stuff. If I can think of other examples, I'll be sure to post about it.

Sweet, thanks! I'm excited to do a little downloading spree and whittle it down to my favorite selections on a flash drive like the good ol' days.

Psychotik wrote:I've used all of that free time to focus on my career: quality assurance (specifically in video games). I started out as a tester back in 2012 and now I'm a high-level senior in charge of supervising the team, tracking performance, setting and changing tasks throughout the day, communicating with producers and developers and basically just making sure shit gets done. I love my job and and the people I've met there and wouldn't have found a better place to focus my energy.

If I have any regrets with my time spent in the dance games community, it's that I've never gotten to meet the vast majority of the community, especially those from this forum. I've always seemed to squander social opportunities. :(

That's so badass, congratulations! That must be a dream come true. I always wanted to work in the game industry, but it's also a fragile thing, so without finding your niche I know it can be really tough to get anywhere. I had a friend that did QA testing, but he hated it since they only stuck him on sports games.

And honestly, socializing can sound really frightening or difficult (to me anyways), but it just takes the smallest step to start. I once had my birthday at Sunnyvale Golfland, but I didn't know anyone in that community, so I simply made a post on Bemanistyle saying that I was traveling out for my birthday and hoped to make some new friends that day. I met like 15 new people that day! They were very welcoming, introduced me to DJMax Technika (that's around when it first came out), and even gave me a couple presents, including the soundtrack for that game. I was honestly so surprised and humbled. For every person posting on this forum, there are 5 people who come to the arcade and play by themselves because they're shy or don't know how to reach out (or that there's even a community like us out there!).
shadowobsessed
101%
101%

Postby @@- on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Eating bagel currently
@@-
80%
80%

Postby Horsey on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:47 pm

@@- wrote:Eating bagel currently

not sure 2012 counts as a senior member lol
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby @@- on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Horsey wrote:
@@- wrote:Eating bagel currently

not sure 2012 counts as a senior member lol

I'm a senior in college.
@@-
80%
80%

Next

Return to General Discussion