Modifying a DDR Extreme Cab to ITG

Anything concerning anything.

Moderators: Admins, Mods

Modifying a DDR Extreme Cab to ITG

Postby yourmom1 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm thinking of buying a DDR extreme plus Cab; how hard is it to modify it into an OITG cab, and how hard is it to convert the pads to be like ITG ones?
yourmom1
0%
0%

Re: Modifying a DDR Extreme Cab to ITG

Postby Slayer³ on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 pm

yourmom1 wrote:I'm thinking of buying a DDR extreme plus Cab; how hard is it to modify it into an OITG cab, and how hard is it to convert the pads to be like ITG ones?

Easy.

1. Buy a minimaid.
2. Buy a PC to dedicate to the machine, if you don't have a space.
3. Install OITG on PC
4. Install additional software to set monitor resolution, if needed.
5. Install minimaid files as needed.
6. Connect minimaid to machine + PC

That's it. It's simple.
I have a 1st mix DDR Machine, that runs both DDR and OITG via PC.

For pads, it's just replacing the images on the arrows, which is simply getting them, unscrewing + replacing.

I don't recommend the pump style bars (I personally hate them), but if you like them, you can get them and modify those in. There are several who have done it, I don't recall if welding is necessary or not.
Slayer³
50%
50%

Postby mute on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 pm

yourmom1 wrote:how hard is it to convert the pads to be like ITG ones?

Slayer³ wrote:For pads, it's just replacing the images on the arrows, which is simply getting them, unscrewing + replacing.

I'm pretty sure he meant feel/playability-wise, not just replacing the graphics on the panels.

Slayer³ wrote:I don't recommend the pump style bars (I personally hate them), but if you like them, you can get them and modify those in. There are several who have done it, I don't recall if welding is necessary or not.

You are in a small, small minority. DDR bars are far too short and narrow for a good majority of players; they're not comfortable for most people over 5'6" and they're damn sure not comfortable for longer songs or extended play sessions.

To provide an actually helpful answer to these questions: Check out http://www.hackmycab.com; it's a great resource by a gal who bought a DDR cab and did some heavy modifications to it. There are in-depth guides to setting up oITG with a minimaid, modding pads and countersinking screws, and installing Pump bars.
Latest update: 2017-10-23
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Horsey on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:04 am

</offtopic>Lol I bet me and Little Mat are the only people here that fit that height as I find the Pump bars far too goddamn high.

What about connecting a Jpac? Why recommend a minimaid over a jpac? I thought Minimaids were stuck with 15khz and you had to use WinXP for soft15khz?
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby Slayer³ on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Horsey wrote:</offtopic>Lol I bet me and Little Mat are the only people here that fit that height as I find the Pump bars far too goddamn high.

What about connecting a Jpac? Why recommend a minimaid over a jpac? I thought Minimaids were stuck with 15khz and you had to use WinXP for soft15khz?

No lag or video quality issues that you can experience with a Jpac.

The 15khz is not always necessary (that is dependent on the type of monitor used)
However, depending on the monitor, not using 15khz can damage it.

Frequencies can be enabled or blocked by the dip switches. (the last 3 white switches) on the minimaid.

You can use the dip switches on the minimade to restrict the khz rate.
CGA (15kHz) DIP 4 ON DIP 4 OFF
EGA (25kHz) DIP 5 ON DIP 5 OFF
VGA (31kHz) DIP 6 ON DIP 6 OFF
Free Range DIP 4, 5, 6 ON
Block All DIP 4, 5, 6 OFF

The only thing to make sure of is the graphics card has all drivers up to date.
Old drivers caused a split screen issue on mine twice, updating them fixed the problem.
Slayer³
50%
50%

Postby Slayer³ on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Slayer³ wrote:
Horsey wrote:</offtopic>Lol I bet me and Little Mat are the only people here that fit that height as I find the Pump bars far too goddamn high.

No lag or video quality issues that you can experience with a Jpac.

The 15khz is not always necessary (that is dependent on the type of monitor used)
However, depending on the monitor, not using 15khz can damage it.

Frequencies can be enabled or blocked by the dip switches. (the last 3 white switches) on the minimaid.

You can use the dip switches on the minimade to restrict the khz rate.
CGA (15kHz) DIP 4 ON DIP 4 OFF
EGA (25kHz) DIP 5 ON DIP 5 OFF
VGA (31kHz) DIP 6 ON DIP 6 OFF
Free Range DIP 4, 5, 6 ON
Block All DIP 4, 5, 6 OFF

The only thing to make sure of is the graphics card has all drivers up to date.
Old drivers caused a split screen issue on mine twice, updating them fixed the problem.

Apologies for the late response. I was not with it for the past couple of months due to a car crash.
An 18 wheeler weighing over 75,000 pounds slammed into my car on the highway.
But, the car is now mostly fixed (close to 10k in damages), and I'm still in PT, but recovered enough to play a little bit of ITG again.
Slayer³
50%
50%

Postby Horsey on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:46 am

do you have any experience with Jpac + a modern monitor? I want to use a freesync monitor or gaming TV. I cannot stand the DDR 640 x 240. In a world where the icons on my phone are 512 x 512, a CRT is really painful to look at lol.
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby Slayer³ on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Horsey wrote:do you have any experience with Jpac + a modern monitor? I want to use a freesync monitor or gaming TV. I cannot stand the DDR 640 x 240. In a world where the icons on my phone are 512 x 512, a CRT is really painful to look at lol.

I haven't in many years and don't remember.
Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

DDR Bars > Pump Bars.
I've always liked the DDR Bars better, so I'm with you and little mac on that :D
Slayer³
50%
50%

Return to General Discussion