ITG2 dedicab USB speed help

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

ITG2 dedicab USB speed help

Postby InuYasha86000 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:52 am

I am aware the cabinet will only load songs for 10 seconds, however there is a cabinet at a local arcade (Castle Fun Park in Abbotsford BC Canada) and I find if I restart the machine and plug my USB into the machine when it's just loaded the green "Desktop" screen (Before actual ITG loads) then I get about 90% to 100% of my songs loaded, however the more I play (even taking breaks in between sets) I slowly start losing songs in my list, meaning it's not reading them all or for some reason reading slower than before.
I used to play on a machine closer to me however the machine has been broken for almost 2 years (the owner of the arcade just keeps it plugged in to look good), that machine never had issues with speed on USB's ever.
Now my buddy had an issue with his USB today (it turned out to be the right side of the USB hub in the cabinet) and I thought I would try to fix it as my USB had lost it's format again (it does this sometimes) and his USB is 8 gigs where as mine is only a 2 gig. I had remembered reading something somewhere about when you format a USB you should change the "allocation Unit Size" to double of what the USB drive is, meaning that my drive is a 2 gig, so 2048mb, so that would mean I should set the allocation to 4096bytes, however, I tried this on my buddies USB drive and his being an 8gig I set it for 16kilobytes but it still seemed to load slow, before the first reboot it wouldn't load ANY songs, after playing for awhile with just my USB he tried his and it only loaded 1 song on his, after rebooting the machine again it read a lot more, however his loss of songs seemed faster than mine.
So my question is this, is there a perfect "allocation" setting for perfect reading of all songs all the time on any cabinet or are we screwed on this one?
InuYasha86000
10%
10%

Re: ITG2 dedicab USB speed help

Postby InuYasha86000 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:21 am

no one has any info on what might be gradually shortening the list of customs loaded? i'm still thinking it's got something to do with the allocation thingy with the USB drives but I may be wrong.
InuYasha86000
10%
10%

Re: ITG2 dedicab USB speed help

Postby SM MaxX on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:48 pm

USB Protical is ancient on cabs (by today's standards when 3.1 is starting to get more mainstream) and last I heard would be a total nightmare trying to update it to something better in 3.95/oitg (dunno about SM5).
Smaller usb sizes are also just better to use considering the most you'd ever theoretically be able to load is 250ish mb and most usb's nowadays are wayyyy bigger than that now for dirt cheap.

It's always been finnicky no matter what and most people just pray and hope it loads the songs they want or just hack the shit on the machine itself.
ITG Jesus wrote:I am the jesus of the ITG world and one of my favorite songs is I can walk on water I can fly
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Return to FAQ and Guides