Where does sm5 save new simfiles?

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Where does sm5 save new simfiles?

Postby NoodleLeopard on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:22 pm

I have my sm5 installed on my desktop, so I thought it would allow for file changes without any administrator problems, but now I don't know where my sm's are getting saved to when I edit them...
NoodleLeopard
10%
10%

Re: Where does sm5 save new simfiles?

Postby Gpop on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:43 pm

NoodleLeopard wrote:I have my sm5 installed on my desktop, so I thought it would allow for file changes without any administrator problems, but now I don't know where my sm's are getting saved to when I edit them...

If you installed the game in your Program Files, then your .sm changes are saved in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\StepMania 5. (appdata is a hidden folder iirc)

It's best to put the game outside of Program Files so you won't have this issue. I just put my game in a games folder in My Documents :V
Out Now!
[Reveal] Spoiler: Recent Releases
ImageImage

In Progress:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Current Projects

Stepmania thread of all previous releases (click the banners for download)
Gpop
60%
60%

Postby NoodleLeopard on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 am

Well, I don't have it in my program files so there's no issue with the Appdata stuff. I think my real problem now is that when I edited my song on sm5, but when I transfer it to oITG, it doesn't show up
NoodleLeopard
10%
10%

Postby Kyzentun on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:13 am

SM5 tries to save to the same folder the song is in. I don't use windows, so I don't remember exactly what windows does when interfering with saving. If your stepmania folder is on the desktop then it should save there just fine.
Zip the song folder and upload it. Maybe there's actually something going wrong. Describe exactly what you do when transferring to OpenITG. Maybe you're deleting the wrong thing.
Horsey wrote:So just stop charging money. I'm tired of people making money from something that can be copied with ctrl + c

SM MaxX wrote:wow groove you ziv I just wanted to post frosted butts
Kyzentun
100%
100%
Double Comp I - 2nd
Double Comp I - 2nd

Postby NoodleLeopard on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:44 am

Welp, seems I figured out the problem. Had to reload to cache
NoodleLeopard
10%
10%

Postby Horsey on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:23 am

NoodleLeopard wrote:Welp, seems I figured out the problem. Had to reload to cache

this is a serious problem that I have with SM5. Even selecting fast load off, I'm not seeing the cache reloaded. My SM5 is on a storage drive, so no permissions issue. I found myself deleting the cache manually until I just made a quick batch file to do it for me
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby Kyzentun on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Horsey wrote:
NoodleLeopard wrote:Welp, seems I figured out the problem. Had to reload to cache

this is a serious problem that I have with SM5. Even selecting fast load off, I'm not seeing the cache reloaded. My SM5 is on a storage drive, so no permissions issue. I found myself deleting the cache manually until I just made a quick batch file to do it for me

If you're editing the songs outside of SM5, that's your problem. Use SM5's edit mode, or this feature that was added in 5.0.7:
5.0.7 Release Notes wrote:Reload current song:

Pressing Ctrl+Shift+R on Select Music will reload the currently selected song
from its song folder, updating any cached information.

(Caveat: The texture manager doesn't realize the banner has changed, so the banner won't update when you reload the song. You would have to hit the debug menu option that makes it reload textures.)

Or if you have a group of WIP songs that you're constantly editing outside SM5, there's this feature:
5.0.7 Release Notes wrote:Never Cache List preference:

The NeverCacheList preference has been added to Preferences.ini. You can use
it to set song group folders that should never be cached. The preference is
set to a comma separated list of group names. Because it disables the cache
for the songs in the groups listed, it should only be used sparingly, the
cache is important for loading quickly.

Example: NeverCacheList=work_in_progress,abandoned_in_progress

This will cause the songs in the work_in_progress and abandoned_in_progress groups to never be cached.

If you're actually using a batch file to delete the entire cache every time you install a new pack, that's hilarious.
Here's what FastLoad does:
Song.cpp wrote: // First, look in the cache for this song (without loading NoteData)
unsigned uCacheHash = SONGINDEX->GetCacheHash(m_sSongDir);
bool bUseCache = true;
RString sCacheFilePath = GetCacheFilePath();

if( !DoesFileExist(sCacheFilePath) )
{ bUseCache = false; }
else if(!PREFSMAN->m_bFastLoad && GetHashForDirectory(m_sSongDir) != uCacheHash)
{ bUseCache = false; } // this cache is out of date
else if(load_autosave)
{ bUseCache= false; }

When stepmania starts up, it goes through the SM folder, the user data folder (appdata, ~/.stepmania-5.0), the AdditionalSongFolders preference, and the AdditionalFolders preference to find Songs folders that contain groups of songs. Then stepmania goes through every Songs folder making a list of all through groups and the songs they contain, and making sure non of the groups are misplace songs (this is the "Sanity checking groups..." stage). After it has that list of groups and the songs they contain, it starts going through each group, loading the songs in each one. That is the stage where FastLoad is checked.
If the cache file does not exist, then stepmania decides not to use the cache file without checking FastLoad.
If the cache file exists, and FastLoad is off, then stepmania checks the hash of the directory. Tracing whether the hash looks at the contents of each file is a pain, hopefully it doesn't (because if checking the hash looked at the contents of the files, there'd be no point in having a cache with FastLoad off). So checking the hash of the directory probably just looks at the names and maybe modification dates of the files. Maybe it only looks at the names.

Thus, turning off FastLoad has no effect on how new songs or packs are loaded. New songs don't have cache files, so they're loaded in full and a cache file is created.

I don't edit simfiles outside of SM5, and people rarely revise files, so I always have FastLoad on. For those rare occasions when a pack is updated, "rm *Otaku*Dream*3*" only takes a couple seconds. Much faster than waiting for the entire cache to be rebuilt. With FastLoad off, my startup time is 121 seconds. With FastLoad on, it's 64 seconds. So having FastLoad off would cost me more time than it would save, probably 20x as much or worse.
Horsey wrote:So just stop charging money. I'm tired of people making money from something that can be copied with ctrl + c

SM MaxX wrote:wow groove you ziv I just wanted to post frosted butts
Kyzentun
100%
100%
Double Comp I - 2nd
Double Comp I - 2nd

Return to FAQ and Guides