Revising The r21 Simfile Making Guide

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Revising The r21 Simfile Making Guide

Postby Nazrininator on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:18 am

I want to make good simfiles. I reached the stage where my simfiles are playable on pad, but they're bland, and I need improvement on my chart making skills. That's where the r21 Simfile Making Guide comes in, and that it needs to be revised for 2015. The revised guide will hopefully help me on my chart making skills greatly. I would ultimately suggest a video guide so that it's easy to follow. To quote Gpop after Dogma Magma got rejected, "this is why we really need to fix up the pad simfile guide pls." We would be really happy to see to a new Simfile Making Guide. I would like it if multiple people can contribute to the new guide.

If I entered Comp IX, I would probably get last place if I didn't view the possible revised guide.
Nazrininator
70%
70%

Re: Revising The r21 Simfile Making Guide

Postby /// on Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 am

i managed to make a couple of pretty decent stepfiles using nothing but the simfile guide and other people criticizing the three or four simfiles i actually released lol.

but since the images are dead and what constitutes a good simfile is more concrete now than in 2008 i guess a revision must be in order. only thing is, who is going to do it? i could probably do it based on a bunch of compiled information from other people and do some fact checking with actually prominent steppers if nobody else wants to do a full fledged overhaul
<@roothorick> my one girl couldn't keep a job and cycled between homeless and living with her parents
<@roothorick> I don't know how I didn't see the writing on the wall
<Kyzentun> Because she didn't have a wall at the time.
///
90%
90%

Postby C_Jota on Sun May 31, 2015 6:17 pm

What is there to revise? I could easily make the screenshots that Insane Steve had on his guide. Otherwise what else would you guys want to see changed in the guide?
C_Jota
30%
30%

Postby T-Dog! on Sun May 31, 2015 6:37 pm

I don't think a new guide is really necessary anymore. Now there are way more high quality packs available than there were in 2007 (were there really any high quality packs back then at all? :lol: )

I know that I don't speak for the entire community or anything, but as long as charts don't abuse crossovers or have really fast crossovers (but contain tasteful use of them based off of pitch relevance), have any unintended double steps, boring/repetitious patterns, facing one direction too long/most of the song, obnoxious mine art (tasteful mine art or queues are fine), speed gimmicks above 2x (unless the music really warrants it, but in most cases, it doesn't), having a lot of arrows that clearly don't go to anything, or poorly synced, then you are on the way to making a well rounded simfile.

Just playing most of anything popular on this side of TLOES (including them as well), aka post 2010 and not pre-2007 garbage, and you can get a excellent grasp on what really good step rhetoric is.
ImageImage
T-Dog!
90%
90%

Postby Horsey on Sun May 31, 2015 7:09 pm

I made an hour and half tutorial on syncing if that makes any difference.
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby SM MaxX on Sun May 31, 2015 7:17 pm

The guide right now is somewhat okay as a bare bones guideline. An updated guide would probably have to be much bigger and cover a lot of different areas of step rhetoric (probably would have to be a group project in hindsight).

I tried making a guide a while ago but gave up on it.
ITG Jesus wrote:I am the jesus of the ITG world and one of my favorite songs is I can walk on water I can fly
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Postby C_Jota on Sun May 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Hey now don't be hatin on us old school guys! :lol:
C_Jota
30%
30%

Postby ITGAlex on Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

The problem with guides is that a lot of people have different impressions on what's "acceptable" in charts
this'd be even more of a problem with a guide being a group project

OUT NOW!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Coming Soon
swagesteps 2 (soon)
itgalex's compilation 4 (later)

mute wrote:
ITGAlex wrote:What is the 105% unlockable ?

A .wma file of Nemo reading the contents of a .sm skeleton out loud.
ITGAlex
60%
60%

Postby Seedling132 on Sun May 31, 2015 9:18 pm

I'd say the only thing to be improved on would be a more detailed breakdown of how step rhetoric, patterns and direction is used to relate to melody/harmony lines, rhythm, sonic elements etc., though it's often very subjective.

I'm with maxx, the guide is a good barebones approach, not that much needs to be changed. All of the fine-tuning of stepping skills pretty much comes from a combination of practice and properly analysing objectively good charts imo.

What we do need is guides for lua and animation work. I've wanted to work with those for ages but with next to no understanding of coding I'm completely stuck for where to begin. I know there's some fairly fractured bits and pieces out there to help but bringing it all under one roof with more information on the absolute basics would be a huge help.
Unless of course there is one that I haven't seen.
Seedling132
30%
30%

Postby C_Jota on Sun May 31, 2015 9:21 pm

When I Invision a "simfile making guide" I see a guide that tells you how to get everything all setup and some of the step basics. You can't really make a guide on how to step the whole thing...everyone's step style is different.

That's just my opinion though
C_Jota
30%
30%

Postby Loodee on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:23 am

You can make a guide on what to not do and what to keep in mind when making a file though. Things such as avoiding double steps and such.

Loodee
50%
50%

Postby Seedling132 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 am

Loodee wrote:You can make a guide on what to not do and what to keep in mind when making a file though. Things such as avoiding double steps and such.

Which is what the guide already does iirc
Seedling132
30%
30%

Postby Gpop on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 am

Nazrininator wrote:To quote Gpop after Dogma Magma got rejected, "this is why we really need to fix up the pad simfile guide pls."

My biggest (and probably only) issue is how the guide tends to refer to the images Steve posted before but they were removed from wherever they were hosted from. I think having those visuals would benefit greatly since for some people it would help them understand quicker.
Out Now!
[Reveal] Spoiler: Recent Releases
ImageImage

In Progress:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Current Projects

Stepmania thread of all previous releases (click the banners for download)
Gpop
60%
60%

Postby C_Jota on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I will only make new screenshots if the original post will be edited with clean links...
C_Jota
30%
30%

Return to FAQ and Guides