Is This OK?

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Re: Is This OK?

Postby Simk on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:02 pm

In doom modding there was a similar problem, this is why a txt has to be attached with every submission that looks like this. The template remains the same and people can say who edited and which reasons. I think it couldn't apply here tho.

http://pastebin.com/FT0kh56D
Simk
30%
30%

Postby Nazrininator on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:16 am

@@- wrote:Resteps of a song are ok, even using the same cut and sync for a song is ok (but you should credit the original person to cut/sync the song) but the main point to drive home is that the restep should be 100% original. If it so happens that a part of the song you stepped has a similar rhythm or patterns to the original chart, as long as you solely came up with this idea on your own, I don't see an issue with this. Don't "revise" someone's chart to your own liking, delete all the steps and start from scratch and no one will bat an eye. Taking someone graphics I would say is not ok, as this would cause confusion between your chart and the original chart.

One thing that I was planning to do is create an original expert chart and make lower difficulties to go along with it. Because I'm not good at making graphics, I may have request graphics to be made for this song.

So it looks like the plan is to take the cut made by the person, request graphics, and make 5 completely original charts for the song.
Nazrininator
70%
70%

Postby @@- on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:16 am

Nazrininator wrote:So it looks like the plan is to take the cut made by the person, request graphics, and make 5 completely original charts for the song.

By doing this, you will have no problems, go ahead.
@@-
80%
80%

Postby Janus5k on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:29 am

I borrow graphics and edit charts all the time

granted these are pretty much all for downs/crossover/dumbstream files but no one's complained yet
Janus5k
30%
30%

Postby mute on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Horsey wrote:1/3rd of Mute Sims is basically what you're talking about Nazrianator.

If by this you mean that I step a lot of songs that another person has made a chart for, yes. If by this you mean that I slightly modify preexisting charts or use someone else's song cuts or gfx (like Nazrinator was asking about), then no. Kinda two really different things.

Here's my opinion on the questions asked:

Borrowing song cuts/skeletons but re-doing the chart from scratch: Yes, so long as you credit them for the song cut. Permission not necessary IMO.

Making minor tweaks to a chart and re-releasing it: With permission from the original author, and keep their name in the credit fields of the .sm file.

Borrowing graphics: Don't. This just causes confusion between the two versions of the file. Make your own graphics, have someone else make new graphics for you, or don't use any graphics at all.
Latest update: 2017-04-11
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Horsey on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 pm

mute wrote:If by this you mean that I step a lot of songs that another person has made a chart for, yes.

This. The only exception that I can think of is Electro World, but eh, it was only that one section and I'm glad you lifted it off of Brandon.
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby Seedling132 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:29 am

Loak wrote:
Gpop wrote:don't fix up a chart without the author's permission

/thread

Thisthisthis. Giving the author credit doesn't mean much if you didn't seek their permission first.
I have done this in the past, and although the file only been shared to a few friends and uploaded on a single forum outside of the general ITG community (although played quite a bit on one of the public cabs in my area), I made sure to seek the prior artist's permission, and in doing so, explained what I am actually doing with his chart. He was cool with it and everything was happy days.
Seedling132
30%
30%

Postby rikame on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Cuts I don't really think matter, but don't make chart edits without credit AND permission from the original creator. I know that there are a lot of files out there in which nobody knows where the hell they came from but, if you're working with those, you should be starting from scratch anyways.
Out now
rikame
70%
70%

Previous

Return to FAQ and Guides