How do you make not ugly graphics?

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

How do you make not ugly graphics?

Postby KLOC on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:19 am

How do you guys make such good-looking graphics? The best I can do is use photoshop on an image I downloaded on Google for like 5 minutes and call it done.
Hi, I'm Kevin. I do things.

GDrive folder of all the packs I've ever released here.
KLOC
30%
30%

Postby Horsey on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:29 am

spend 10 minutes in Photoshop/gimp XD you can find plenty of tutorials online for both, or ask me a specific question about Photoshop.
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Re: How do you make not ugly graphics?

Postby Loodee on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:19 pm

This thread has some pretty good info viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17708

Loodee
50%
50%

Postby KLOC on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:06 pm

Loodee wrote:This thread has some pretty good info viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17708

Sexy thread, thanks
Hi, I'm Kevin. I do things.

GDrive folder of all the packs I've ever released here.
KLOC
30%
30%

Postby mute on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 pm

One thing I'd like to stress for graphics is that less is more. Cleaner fonts, fewer layer effects, less clutter. Less is more. Ask any professional designer worth their salt and they will agree with this. I've personally strayed away from the triple-stroke-gradient-overlay-drop-shadow bullshit that's been the go-to "ITG" style.

Here's a comparison of some of my old graphics versus their new counterparts:

Notice the trend? The old graphics use goofy or overly-busy background images, awkward/clashing fonts, and the text is drowned in shitty drop shadows/outer glows/strokes. Less is more, less is cleaner, cleaner is better.
Latest update: 2017-04-11
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby sudzi781 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 am

Yo but that bleeding cowboys in old Last Burning tho

One thing I like to try and do is match layer styles for the text to that of the elements in the background image. For instance if the image features lots of outlines or other cartoonish styles and is overall pretty busy then I'd say strokes, drop shadows, gradients and the like are fair game. Typically I make the outermost stroke the same color as the darkest major color in the image:

If the image is a photograph, digital painting, or something abstract which features minimal outlines or glows, then solid colors or minor blending options (usually a soft, low opacity drop shadow or outer glow) will match that better:

(psd files available by clicking on the banners)

Another thing I've learned over time is that it's almost always a good idea to keep the blending options consistent between the title and artist text. If the title has a solid outline or drop shadow, the artist text should follow similarly.

Graphics are largely a case-by-case basis, so there are plenty of exceptions to what I've said, but I find myself following these guidelines consistently whenever I'm trying to pick out what text effects to go with and it works out a good percentage of the time.
In Progress: Rock Out! | pop'nomicon
Sudziosis 5 and previous packs available here.
sudzi781
70%
70%
FotW Helper
FotW Helper
cat
cat

Postby Telperion on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:59 pm

If you need help finding your way around GIMP, I wrote a tutorial a couple years back.

I think most people would recommend just finding your way to Photoshop though, lol

@@- wrote:
CondorTalon wrote:I'm in. I promise not to submit a shitty anime remix this time.
This sounds like something someone who wants to submit a shitty anime remix and not get found out immediately would say

Telperion
90%
90%

Return to FAQ and Guides