Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ UPDATED 2015-06-06

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Re: Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby mute on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Cat-Bomb wrote:What happens if you use other kHz?

I've had some funny syncing problems happen with other frequencies. A couple months ago there was a file from IF that I tried and the ogg was at 48 kHz which caused the audio to drift radically even though the bpm was 100% correct. I re-exported the file from Audacity at 44.1 kHz and it was fine then. I'm not sure if this was just a problem with my weird old SM4 alpha build or if the problem would happen with ITG/oITG as well. I'd keep it at 44.1 kHz just to be safe.
Latest update: 2017-10-23
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Rajjab on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:44 pm

might as well post this here since the thread was made in the wrong forum

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22336

it's a thread that Zaku has started and it's my machine that is having this problem.

Also another issue that popped up is that now that the machine is R16, for some reason I cannot unlock the ITG2 songs. I was able to unlock them yesterday while the machine was R23, but I cannot now.

Anyways main issue is the custom songs/theme not loading.
Rajjab
40%
40%

Postby Wastum on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:12 am

So I had another problem with the installation of a custom theme on the ITG2 cabinet. I finally got it to load the theme, in this case, the ITG Altitude Fort Rapids 6 version. Only problem, the machine doesn't respond to button inputs whenever this theme is active, including the service switch. It also won't add any credits when money is inserted.
FURR wrote:i tried to change to ogg but the song was without a stepchart
Wastum
70%
70%

Postby mute on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Wastum wrote:So I had another problem with the installation of a custom theme on the ITG2 cabinet. I finally got it to load the theme, in this case, the ITG Altitude Fort Rapids 6 version. Only problem, the machine doesn't respond to button inputs whenever this theme is active, including the service switch. It also won't add any credits when money is inserted.

That would be indicative of not setting up the proxy theme properly. Did you follow section 5 of the guide to the letter, using the proxy theme with the blank metrics that only load @GetArcadeStartScreen()? That's needed or else none of the i/o drivers will be loaded when the game starts.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby kiwizoid on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:12 pm

mute wrote:
Wastum wrote:So I had another problem with the installation of a custom theme on the ITG2 cabinet. I finally got it to load the theme, in this case, the ITG Altitude Fort Rapids 6 version. Only problem, the machine doesn't respond to button inputs whenever this theme is active, including the service switch. It also won't add any credits when money is inserted.

That would be indicative of not setting up the proxy theme properly. Did you follow section 5 of the guide to the letter, using the proxy theme with the blank metrics that only load @GetArcadeStartScreen()? That's needed or else none of the i/o drivers will be loaded when the game starts.

Since this is the first time I've heard anyone besides our machine having this kind of problem, I'm gonna hop on this question: If the machine's only starting up correctly half of the time, do you think this would also be a proxy theme problem? Like, if we turn the machine on once, it encounters a problem like Wastum's, and then if we restart it, it works fine. It's sorta weird and we've had no idea how to fix it. not that we'd even be able to fix it right now woooo
Ziemniax wrote:my friends have a strange obsession about me and my ass (i'm a boy so that's bit weird)

Nazrininator wrote:It's interesting to see some classical music in this DRAFT competition. Sadly, it is faced with one of the most ultimate songs.
kiwizoid
40%
40%

Postby mute on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 pm

kiwizoid wrote:
mute wrote:

Since this is the first time I've heard anyone besides our machine having this kind of problem, I'm gonna hop on this question: If the machine's only starting up correctly half of the time, do you think this would also be a proxy theme problem? Like, if we turn the machine on once, it encounters a problem like Wastum's, and then if we restart it, it works fine. It's sorta weird and we've had no idea how to fix it. not that we'd even be able to fix it right now woooo

Never heard of the i/o stuff working half the time like that. The proxy theme is kinda hard to groove up; it's just one metrics file with four lines of text. But hey, I'm no theme expert. I can't say for sure.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby DragonXDM on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Ok so, I've been trying to hack songs onto my machine for the past couple hours. I followed the instructions correctly, and I got to midnight commander, and I could not find hda3 anywhere. I had a friend who hacked his own machine helping me, and he had no idea what was going on either. We looked in every folder, starting with MNT, and we just could not find hda3 or 5.

Any ideas whats going on?

If anyone can help me over skype or something that would be great and I could show what im doing over video.
DragonXDM
10%
10%

Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby mute on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm

Stop using MC. Use Slax 6.1.2. Why would you struggle with command line shit when you gan use an actual gui?
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby DragonXDM on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Where do I get that version of slax? The link in the OP just sends me to a home page, and the download page only lets me have 7.

I had no idea what I was doing so I was just using mc because that's what my friend was familiar with.
DragonXDM
10%
10%

Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby mute on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 pm

DragonXDM wrote:Where do I get that version of slax? The link in the OP just sends me to a home page, and the download page only lets me have 7.

I had no idea what I was doing so I was just using mc because that's what my friend was familiar with.

If you can't find it via a Google search, I can upload the iso file for you.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby csikira on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Hey guys - Question

I'm all set to upload songs on to our AC - however, the cache file in my Stepmania 3.95 no longer exists

I have hacked machines before, but it was years ago and I'm aware the cache files are necessary - but the folder simply doesn't exist anymore. The only difference I can think of since the last time I tried is that I"m running Windows 7 now as opposed to XP.

Can anyone offer a solution?
csikira
0%
0%

Postby mute on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 am

csikira wrote:Hey guys - Question

I'm all set to upload songs on to our AC - however, the cache file in my Stepmania 3.95 no longer exists

I have hacked machines before, but it was years ago and I'm aware the cache files are necessary - but the folder simply doesn't exist anymore. The only difference I can think of since the last time I tried is that I"m running Windows 7 now as opposed to XP.

Can anyone offer a solution?

It probably just got moved elsewhere by the OS. Search your hard drive?

Windows users would probably be able to give you a more direct answer.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby SM MaxX on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:59 am

If it's installed in program files that may be why, try installing it somewhere else and see if it fixes it.
ITG Jesus wrote:I am the jesus of the ITG world and one of my favorite songs is I can walk on water I can fly
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Postby Spooty Biscuit on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:24 pm

SM MaxX wrote:If it's installed in program files that may be why, try installing it somewhere else and see if it fixes it.

Precisely this. As an attempt to step up security, Windows 7, by default, puts all sorts of tricky restrictions when it comes to writing anything to files contained in the Program Files directory. If any program that hasn't been given explicit permission to do so tries to write anything into those folders, Windows instead puts the write attempts into temporary hidden files somewhere in the user profile directory, and it's a huge hassle to dig them out. So yeah, the cache files are probably being put into one of those temporary files instead of directly to the Stepmania folder, but I can't remember where they are offhand.

You've got two choices to resolve it:

1) Move the Stepmania folder somewhere other than Program Files. Just plop it down on your desktop or in the root directory, like C:\Stepmania\.
2) Go to the Program folder in the Stepmania bundle, right click the .exe, click properties. Find the option "Run this program as Administrator" and check it. This should allow the program to write directly to the Program Files directory, as normal.

(If you're not running it out of Program Files, then I'm not sure what to tell you)
Coming soon (?)

Packs

Gensokyo Daydream (2012)
Gensokyo Voyage (2010)
Gensokyo Holiday (2009)
Spooty Biscuit
80%
80%
Site Admin
Site Admin
Comp VI - 3rd
Comp VI - 3rd

Postby csikira on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Thatt worked, thanks guys!

Now I'm trying to get a theme to load up, but I'm having the same problem as a previous poster was.. I've copied everything exactly but it still doesn't load my theme.
csikira
0%
0%

PreviousNext

Return to FAQ and Guides