Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ UPDATED 2015-06-06

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Re: Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby sonicfan0 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 am

ddritg wrote:We need someone to do this to Neshaminy Time Out in Bensalem PA

Preferably the gamz theme with all couples packs, r21 packs, itg3 and rebirth (not rebirth 2 though), and srt
1-x as well as windeu loves you and hates you marathons. Also the insomnias wouldn't hurt either. But first we gotta up the memory on the machine so it can handle that new info.
TYLR wrote:my sonic fanchar's name was soda
sonicfan0
70%
70%

Postby Wastum on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:06 pm

I ran into some problems today. I tried to add the ITG Altitude (FR6 version) today, but after doing everything as described, Still, ITG doesn't start with the FR6 theme but with the default theme. Pointing directly to FortRapids6 didn't help either, and altering the theme redirection in GamePrefs.ini even made the cabinet crash at startup.

This is how my files look.

Custom/Themes/FortRapids6/metrics.ini
Code: Select all
[Global]
FallbackTheme=fallback

[Preferences-arcade]
Theme=arcade-custom

Custom/Themes/arcade-custom/metrics.ini
[Global]
FallbackTheme=FortRapids6

[Common]
InitialScreen=@GetArcadeStartScreen()

Added the following to hda3/static.ini
[Dance]
Theme=arcade-custom
FURR wrote:i tried to change to ogg but the song was without a stepchart
Wastum
70%
70%

Postby mute on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Not sure what to tell you other than maybe do a factory reset and try again from scratch.
Latest update: 2017-10-23
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby ShadowzI on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 am

Sorry for asking what may seem like an obvious question but when you add new songs to the AC does it delete the previously (or make it unplayable) added songs?
Also if the machine is filled with songs and there are only certain songs to delete, how would I go about deleting only selected songs.

Edit: Never mind, found that part out

So I'll need to make a new cache file with the previous songs for it to work =P.
Is there someway I can extract the songs from the machine to an usb?
I don't know who did it but someone added new steps that people really enjoyed without deleting my custom files and I would really like to update/add a couple more new songs as well without deleting the new files (and some old) which I don't have...
Also is it possible to delete files in the machine?
ShadowzI
0%
0%

Postby mute on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 pm

ShadowzI wrote:Sorry for asking what may seem like an obvious question but when you add new songs to the AC does it delete the previously (or make it unplayable) added songs?
Also if the machine is filled with songs and there are only certain songs to delete, how would I go about deleting only selected songs.

Edit: Never mind, found that part out

So I'll need to make a new cache file with the previous songs for it to work =P.
Is there someway I can extract the songs from the machine to an usb?
I don't know who did it but someone added new steps that people really enjoyed without deleting my custom files and I would really like to update/add a couple more new songs as well without deleting the new files (and some old) which I don't have...
Also is it possible to delete files in the machine?

When you boot Slax, all you need to do is navigate to the folder where the custom files are and copy them to an external storage device that you have connected to the machine (flash drive, USB HDD, whatever) just like you would on any other computer. (Highlight the songs folder, hit ctrl+C, then ctrl+V when you navigate back to your external storage device.) Then you can just pick and choose the old files you want to put into StepMania when you make a new cache with all of the new songs you're adding. And yes, you will want to delete the old cache and unwanted songs from your machine's hard drive. When you highlight the unwanted items with Slax open, hit shift+delete to permanently erase them. (This functions the same way as moving them to the trash and then emptying the trash.)
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Cat-Bomb on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm

If I were to hack a macine I would just use a HD reader.

Since that is out I am wondering, what HD are used in dedicabs and upgrade cabs, does it differentiate between the vendor or what?
RIP Eza
Cat-Bomb
60%
60%

Postby ShadowzI on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:10 pm

mute wrote:When you boot Slax, all you need to do is navigate to the folder where the custom files are and copy them to an external storage device that you have connected to the machine (flash drive, USB HDD, whatever) just like you would on any other computer. (Highlight the songs folder, hit ctrl+C, then ctrl+V when you navigate back to your external storage device.) Then you can just pick and choose the old files you want to put into StepMania when you make a new cache with all of the new songs you're adding. And yes, you will want to delete the old cache and unwanted songs from your machine's hard drive. When you highlight the unwanted items with Slax open, hit shift+delete to permanently erase them. (This functions the same way as moving them to the trash and then emptying the trash.)

It seems like you need a mouse to highlight multiple items? How would you highlight multiple folders with only a keyboard?
ShadowzI
0%
0%

Postby /// on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 pm

ShadowzI wrote:It seems like you need a mouse to highlight multiple items? How would you highlight multiple folders with only a keyboard?

I think you have to hold control while highlighting.
<@roothorick> my one girl couldn't keep a job and cycled between homeless and living with her parents
<@roothorick> I don't know how I didn't see the writing on the wall
<Kyzentun> Because she didn't have a wall at the time.
///
90%
90%

Postby Schlagwerk on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 pm

ShadowzI wrote:
mute wrote:When you boot Slax, all you need to do is navigate to the folder where the custom files are and copy them to an external storage device that you have connected to the machine (flash drive, USB HDD, whatever) just like you would on any other computer. (Highlight the songs folder, hit ctrl+C, then ctrl+V when you navigate back to your external storage device.) Then you can just pick and choose the old files you want to put into StepMania when you make a new cache with all of the new songs you're adding. And yes, you will want to delete the old cache and unwanted songs from your machine's hard drive. When you highlight the unwanted items with Slax open, hit shift+delete to permanently erase them. (This functions the same way as moving them to the trash and then emptying the trash.)

It seems like you need a mouse to highlight multiple items? How would you highlight multiple folders with only a keyboard?

Back USB ports?
Schlagwerk
40%
40%

Postby Hazelnut on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Does the songs have to be in 48 khz? Most songs I have are 44.1 khz.
Hazelnut
40%
40%

Postby Fraxtil on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:55 pm

I think that rule only applies to pre-r21 machines. From what I've gathered, the r21 and r23 patches give the machine the ability to play back 44.1kHz audio, so hardly any machines still require 48kHz these days.
Telperion wrote:
Horsey wrote:As long as it's not vore, furries are okay with me.

It's just like Macklemore said.
Fraxtil
100%
100%

Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby mute on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 am

Back when r21 first came out, there was this hearsay about custom files needing to be 48 kHz. This is and always has been false. 44.1 kHz audio works perfectly. Every single simfile I've ever released is 44.1 kHz.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Hazelnut on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 pm

lol I should have asked here before i converted all the songs to 48 kHz
Hazelnut
40%
40%

Postby Cat-Bomb on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 am

What happens if you use other kHz?
RIP Eza
Cat-Bomb
60%
60%

Postby Fraxtil on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Cat-Bomb wrote:What happens if you use other kHz?

I'd imagine it doesn't matter. There's no real reason to strip out functionality for specific sampling rates, it won't save space or processing time or anything.
Telperion wrote:
Horsey wrote:As long as it's not vore, furries are okay with me.

It's just like Macklemore said.
Fraxtil
100%
100%

PreviousNext

Return to FAQ and Guides