Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ UPDATED 2015-06-06

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ UPDATED 2015-06-06

Postby mute on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 am

This guide is to [hopefully] help anyone who's unclear about the process of adding custom songs and themes to an ITG dedicab. "Hacking" might sound like something that requires highly specific knowledge and lots of time and effort, but in regards to adding custom content to an ITG machine it certainly isn't. The hacking process involves starting up the ITG machine with a special version of Linux from a USB drive, which acts as the vehicle for you to access the machine's hard drive and add the custom content. From there, all you're really doing is copying/pasting the data folders from Stepmania to the ITG machine's hard drive and then ensuring that the game recognizes that extra content. This entire process shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so, and subsequent "hacks" to add/change custom content should only take 10-15 minutes.

<<< What You Will Need >>>

• Keyboard (PS2 or USB connection)
• USB drive (8+ GB ideal)
• SLAX Linux 6.1.2 *
• Universal USB Installer 1.5.3 *
• StepMania 3.95
• access to the machine's computer via removing the cabinet's back panel (and permission from the cabinet owner!)

* - There are newer versions available, but I've had the best success with these versions.

<<< Step 1 - Preparing Linux >>>

• Download SLAX & Universal USB Installer here: http://www.r21freak.com/mute/simfiles/h4x/ITG_SLAX.zip
• Install SLAX onto your USB drive using the Universal USB Installer program. (It's pretty self-explanatory and hard to mess up. Honest.)

<<< Step 2 - Preparing Simfiles >>>

• Simfile audio must be in .ogg format.
• Simfile graphics must be in .png format.
• With all simile content properly formatted, cache your custom song content with StepMania 3.95. (StepMania caches all content each time it boots.)
• Copy your StepMania's "Cache" and "Songs" folders (and "Courses", if you're adding any) to your USB drive, putting them into another folder named "custom".

<<< Step 3 - Booting Linux on the Machine >>>

3a) Does your machine show a "Roxor" screen when it is booting? Follow these steps:

• Plug your USB flash drive into the USB slot on the machine's computer.
• Plug your USB keyboard into the machine's P2 memory card slot (or PS2 keyboard into purple plug on machine's computer).
• Remove the security dongle from the machine's CPU, wait 30 seconds, plug the dongle back in. DO NOT REMOVE THE SECURITY DONGLE'S BATTERY.
• Turn the machine on.
• Enter the Boot Menu by hitting F11 at the "Roxor" screen. (Note: Timing this can be tricky. It may help to just keep rapidly hitting the F11 key as soon as you turn the machine on.)
• Select your USB flash drive from the list of mounted drives. SLAX will boot.
• When the SLAX boot screen shows up choose the second option, "Always Fresh Mode."

3b) Does your machine not show a "Roxor" screen when it is booting? Follow these steps:

• Plug your USB flash drive into the USB slot on the machine's computer.
• Plug your USB keyboard into the machine's P2 memory card slot (or PS2 keyboard into purple plug on machine's computer).
• Turn the machine on.
• At the BIOS loading screen (the one with the Energy Star logo), hit the Delete key. This takes you into the BIOS settings.
• Go down to the second menu option ("Advanced BIOS Settings"), enter it, and change the first boot priority to "USB-HDD".
• Hit F10 to save and exit the BIOS settings.
• When the SLAX boot screen shows up choose the second option, "Always Fresh Mode."

*** When you reboot the machine after adding custom content, re-enter this menu and change the first boot priority back to "Hard Drive". ***

<<< Step 4 - Adding Your Custom Songs >>>

• Once SLAX has booted, navigate to your machine's hda3 partition. (Also called "stats".) Open up the Static.ini file you find there. (If there is none, just create a blank text document named "Static.ini".) Add the following text to the file:

Code: Select all
[Options]
AdditionalFolders=/itgdata/custom/

• Save and close the Static.ini file.
• Navigate to your machine's hda5 partition. (Also called "itgdata".) In here, copy your entire "custom" folder that contains your Songs and Cache folders. (This process may take a while, depending on how much stuff you're adding! The USB slots on the back of the machine are USB 2.0, which is why I recommend using them to make this step quicker.)
• If installing a custom theme, proceed to Step 5. If not, reboot the machine by opening up the Terminal in SLAX, entering the command "reboot", then hitting Enter. Once the machine has rebooted past the Roxor screen, it is safe to remove your USB drive.
• That's it! Your custom songs should all show up on the song select wheel.

<<< Step 5 - Adding A Custom Theme >>>

5a. Are you adding Lara's "Simply Love vFINAL" or Mad Matt's updated Meat/Tactics/Gloomy themes? Follow these steps:

• In hda5/custom, create a folder called "Themes".
• Copy your custom theme folder to hda5/custom/Themes.
• Navigate to your machine's hda3 partition. Open up Static.ini and add the following text:

[Dance]
Theme=Simply Love (or other theme name)

• Reboot the machine as described in Step 4. ITG should start up with your new theme!

5b. Are you adding an older theme, such as Devon's Chromatic or Altitude? Follow these steps:

• In hda5/custom, create a folder called "Themes".
• Copy your custom theme folder to hda5/custom/Themes.
• Ensure that your custom theme's metrics.ini file says the following:

[Global]
FallbackTheme=fallback

[Preferences-arcade]
Theme=arcade-custom

• In hda5/custom/Themes, create another folder called "arcade-custom".
• Create a blank text document there and name it "metrics.ini".
• Add the following text to the metrics.ini file (and change "THEME NAME" to the folder name of your theme, obviously):

[Global]
FallbackTheme=THEME NAME

[Common]
InitialScreen=@GetArcadeStartScreen()

• Save and close the metrics.ini file.
• Navigate to your machine's hda3 partition. Open up Static.ini and add the following text:

[Dance]
Theme=arcade-custom

• Reboot the machine as described in Step 4. ITG should start up with your new theme!

*** The second theme folder ("arcade-custom") is a proxy theme. It is necessary for loading the machine's I/O drivers, which allow all the sensors and cabinet buttons to work. For certain themes (most notably the older Simply Love, Tactics, and Meatboy), you must name your proxy theme "arcade" instead of "arcade-custom". Not exactly sure why this is, but I and many other people have found it to be the case. ***

<<< Credits >>>

This guide is based on the original ITG2AC hacking tutorial from boxorroxors.net, so credit is due to CMCM and whoever else originally compiled that. Special thanks to Rynker, The Cosmic Pope, and SteveReen for helping with certain aspects of this guide.
Latest update: 2017-02-19
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Re: Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby SM MaxX on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:21 am

Much apprieciated.
Does it matter if it's 3.95 or oITG you use to cache? I would imagine not, but just being sure.
ITG Jesus wrote:I am the jesus of the ITG world and one of my favorite songs is I can walk on water I can fly
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Postby mute on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:36 am

SM MaxX wrote:Much apprieciated.
Does it matter if it's 3.95 or oITG you use to cache? I would imagine not, but just being sure.

I've never used oITG, so I couldn't tell you.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby TEEX on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:17 am

This is awesome, thanks a lot, Dave!
TEEX
102%
102%

Postby RainbowTylernol on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Sweet. By any chance would you know how to add custom marathons?
RainbowTylernol
103%
103%

Postby TYLR on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

mute wrote:
SM MaxX wrote:Much apprieciated.

I've never used oITG, so I couldn't tell you.

I use oITG, so apparently not.
TYLR
90%
90%

Postby mute on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Xynn wrote:Sweet. By any chance would you know how to add custom marathons?

mute wrote:<<< Step 2 - Preparing Simfiles >>>

• Simfile audio must be in .ogg format with a frequency of 48khz.
• With all simile content properly formatted, cache your custom song content with StepMania 3.95. (StepMania caches all content each time it boots.)
• Copy your StepMania's "Cache" and "Songs" folders (and "Courses", if you're adding any) to your second USB drive, putting them into another folder named "custom".
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby SM MaxX on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm

hehe owned.
Also on the Get Slax screen, is it the .iso or the .tar file I'm supposed to install (I'm guessing the usb one?)
ITG Jesus wrote:I am the jesus of the ITG world and one of my favorite songs is I can walk on water I can fly
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Postby Wastum on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Sweet guide mute, thanks for posting. I highly appreciate this!
FURR wrote:i tried to change to ogg but the song was without a stepchart
Wastum
70%
70%

Postby RainbowTylernol on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 am

mute wrote:
Xynn wrote:Sweet. By any chance would you know how to add custom marathons?

mute wrote:<<< Step 2 - Preparing Simfiles >>>

• Simfile audio must be in .ogg format with a frequency of 48khz.
• Copy your StepMania's "Cache" and "Songs" folders (and "Courses", if you're adding any) to your second USB drive, putting them into another folder named "custom".

Ha, my bad. I actually didn't read through the guide yet, but based on the thread titled I made the assumption that courses weren't included in this tutorial. :P
RainbowTylernol
103%
103%

Postby mute on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 am

Xynn wrote:Ha, my bad. I actually didn't read through the guide yet, but based on the thread titled I made the assumption that courses weren't included in this tutorial. :P

Yeah, luckily they function just like the songs in that they just need to be cached. Then "Courses" is just a fourth subfolder in "custom," along with "Cache," "Songs" and "Themes." You can of course have "Noteskins" in "custom" too if you're adding those, but those don't need to be cached, only referred to properly in the custom theme's metrics.ini and English.ini.

SM MaxX wrote:hehe owned.
Also on the Get Slax screen, is it the .iso or the .tar file I'm supposed to install (I'm guessing the usb one?)

Yep, get the USB one which is the .tar. The .iso is for burning a bootable CD for a personal computer containing an optical drive.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby RainbowTylernol on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:45 am

mute wrote:
Xynn wrote:Ha, my bad. I actually didn't read through the guide yet, but based on the thread titled I made the assumption that courses weren't included in this tutorial. :P

Yeah, luckily they function just like the songs in that they just need to be cached. Then "Courses" is just a fourth subfolder in "custom," along with "Cache," "Songs" and "Themes." You can of course have "Noteskins" in "custom" too if you're adding those, but those don't need to be cached, only referred to properly in the custom theme's metrics.ini and English.ini.

Not gonna lie, that's a lot simpler than I assumed it would be, haha.
RainbowTylernol
103%
103%

Postby SM MaxX on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:06 pm

mute wrote:

Yep, get the USB one which is the .tar. The .iso is for burning a bootable CD for a personal computer containing an optical drive.

okay, but when I use the Universal USB Installer, it asks for the SLAX 6.1.2.iso., yet I'm supposed to use the .tar file?
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Postby mute on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm

SM MaxX wrote:
mute wrote:

okay, but when I use the Universal USB Installer, it asks for the SLAX 6.1.2.iso., yet I'm supposed to use the .tar file?

Alright, just download the ISO then. I think the .tar is the same thing, just compressed. I don't remember. I was forever ago that I made my SLAX USB drive.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ Adding Custom Songs & Themes

Postby SM MaxX on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:35 am

Alright, I got it installed.
But I got another problem; whenever I plug everything in, it asks for a password. It shows the energy star logo though.
1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Where is the security dongle located just in case i misread something?
3. Is the password something obvious?
SM MaxX
101%
101%

Next

Return to FAQ and Guides