Gay4 - Stutter Gimmix (Bulk Stutter Maker)

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Gay4 - Stutter Gimmix (Bulk Stutter Maker)

Postby Jayce on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 am

Howdy Friends

To celebrate the Release of Gay4Gimmix Again I've decided to share with you all something I whipped up to avoid having to manually apply stuttery gimmicks over and over again.

Download:
http://divinelegy.com/simfiles/%3E%20%3E%20%20Applications,%20Themes%20and%20More/Gay4%20-%20Stutter%20Gimmix.zip

If you're familiar with making stutter gimmicks then you know how annoying it can be when it goes for a long time and hell, even manually copy+pasting+rearranging in notepad can be troublesome also, this tool helps to solve all that, and it's in a simple-to-use excel document.

You will need:
1. Your simfile open in Notepad
2. Your simfile open in Stepmania
3. Gay4 Stutter Gimmix tool open in Excel or open office

All of the instructions have been laid out in the tool itself so it's easy to follow!

Special Note
Applying these gimmicks should only be done after fully completing your simfile and the Current Second of the last step should be recorded before applying it to first see if it varies and to then see how many milliseconds out it is.

If done correctly the current timing in Stepmania should remain the same or deviate by maybe a couple of milliseconds, just make a couple of tiny manual adjustments if this is the case...

Anyway I hope you all like this and I hope it allows all of you to get on your way to being as Gay for Gimmicks as I am. At the end of the day, if you hate it I won't mind too much since it helps me finish my charts a bit quicker and that's all I really want.
ImageImage
Jayce
80%
80%

Re: Gay4 - Stutter Gimmix (Bulk Stutter Maker)

Postby Treythetrebor on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:50 pm

I always this idea in mind. Thank you so much!
Treythetrebor
30%
30%

Postby MdX MaxX on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 pm

It's an excellent idea, and I think many would enjoy it. But I think I personally would stick with 'beats to pause' in the SM editor, despite its repetitiveness.

Now, something like this for acceleration/deceleration gimmicks would be a GODSEND. Figuring out the math for those is a nightmare.
MdX MaxX
40%
40%

Postby Jayce on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 pm

MdX MaxX wrote:It's an excellent idea, and I think many would enjoy it. But I think I personally would stick with 'beats to pause' in the SM editor, despite its repetitiveness.

Now, something like this for acceleration/deceleration gimmicks would be a GODSEND. Figuring out the math for those is a nightmare.

I had an idea to make a bounce gimmick generator but I'm unsure how to implement it to make it understandable (because you can put a bounce between 2 notes or you can put bounces to make 8th notes read as 12th notes).
ImageImage
Jayce
80%
80%

Postby mute on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 am

Jayce wrote:If done correctly the current timing in Stepmania should remain the same, however as mentioned above despite there being a long string of 10-15 decimal places with the wait result Stepmania WILL round it after you're done, of course the people that will get the most use out of this are the ones that know this from experience after doing it all the manual way.

So essentially, this is useless.

Not to shit on you here man, but if this is just spitting out longer strings of numbers that SM is gonna round then you're not helping yourself to avoid drift accumulation. And that's the point of the bpm stutter calculator, isn't it?

And to the guy that mentioned beats-to-pause: NO. That rounds too. For stop-intensive files, beats-to-pause WILL butcher stop values and cause drift accumulation. (If it's just one or two stops, then that's fine.)

hey, download my goddamn pack
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Jayce on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 am

mute wrote:
Jayce wrote:If done correctly the current timing in Stepmania should remain the same, however as mentioned above despite there being a long string of 10-15 decimal places with the wait result Stepmania WILL round it after you're done, of course the people that will get the most use out of this are the ones that know this from experience after doing it all the manual way.

So essentially, this is useless.

Not to shit on you here man, but if this is just spitting out longer strings of numbers that SM is gonna round then you're not helping yourself to avoid drift accumulation. And that's the point of the bpm stutter calculator, isn't it?

And to the guy that mentioned beats-to-pause: NO. That rounds too. For stop-intensive files, beats-to-pause WILL butcher stop values and cause drift accumulation. (If it's just one or two stops, then that's fine.)

Nah you missed the point, it spews a script out so that you don't have to manually do it such as if you need a stutter going on for a few measures, we all know stepmania rounds but the only manual work you would have to do with this thing is adding/removing the missing milliseconds, you'd have to do that anyway with the Beats to Pause function except it cuts out all of that extra manual work of increasing the bpm and then converting all the notes individually.
ImageImage
Jayce
80%
80%

Postby mute on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:02 pm

I can see where some people might think this is useful, but if one still needs to manually compensate for rounding of significant digits than this really doesn't save any time compared to punching numbers into a calculator. You'd still need to abide by MWok's method for proper rounding compensation. His "15/bpm" formula is all you need to know for non-triplet stops, with various quantizations being multiples of that. 20/bpm (and multiples) gives you triplet stop values. And like you said: In the end, it's still always best to note position markers prior to adding gimmicks as a means of verifying that stop values haven't accumulated drift.

Now if you could come up with a spreadsheet that automatically spits out the proper long stop/short stop ratio for rounding compensation as explained in MWok's method, then you'd really be on to something.

mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby mudkyp on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't use MWOK's method at all. I just find the midpoint between the distance of the gimmick I'm doing and then subtract it from when the gimmick starts and then I round accordingly.
DG Forums --You Should Register!
FURR wrote:i guess this song was Like *Meat*
lol insane : fantastic count
that song is too long and hard )
how'd you think should i pass songs 12+Expers with high BPMs(Meat like that song)
mudkyp
80%
80%

Postby mute on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

mudkyp wrote:I don't use MWOK's method at all. I just find the midpoint between the distance of the gimmick I'm doing and then subtract it from when the gimmick starts and then I round accordingly.

I don't follow MWok's method strictly to the letter anymore. It's become second nature for me to properly estimate the short/long stop ratio based on the two or three decimal places after the thousandth place of "x" when x = 15/bpm.

mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Jayce on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am

mute wrote:Now if you could come up with a spreadsheet that automatically spits out the proper long stop/short stop ratio for rounding compensation as explained in MWok's method, then you'd really be on to something.

Yeah alright, I'll do that when I get home, I worked it out while I was at work.
ImageImage
Jayce
80%
80%

Postby Jayce on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:17 am

Alright I've updated the existing link so that it now rounds to 3-decimal places and incorporates those smaller fractions into the list in an even spread, granted it still isn't perfect but for the sake of testing out I used a bpm value of 137.265 and had a 0.002 margin of error over 2 minutes so I'd say even for the sake of 2 milliseconds that can just be manually fixed up it saves a lot more time.
ImageImage
Jayce
80%
80%

Postby mute on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Jayce wrote:Alright I've updated the existing link so that it now rounds to 3-decimal places and incorporates those smaller fractions into the list in an even spread, granted it still isn't perfect but for the sake of testing out I used a bpm value of 137.265 and had a 0.002 margin of error over 2 minutes so I'd say even for the sake of 2 milliseconds that can just be manually fixed up it saves a lot more time.

NOW this is a very useful tool. Nice work.

If only I had Excel to actually try it out...

mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Kyzentun on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

mute wrote:If only I had Excel to actually try it out...

Try it out in Open Office. I don't use gimmicks, so I don't care enough to test it in Open Office myself.
mute wrote:contender for saddest post ever
Psychotik wrote:Every time I hear the vocalist, I want to punch a baby in the face.
Jayce wrote:TAKE THAT KYZENTUN
silenttype01 wrote:I blame myself for thinking that a kyzentun file would NOT have a catch.
Dark Luke wrote:Kyz please step DX charts too
Kyzentun
100%
100%
Double Comp I - 2nd
Double Comp I - 2nd

Postby mute on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Kyzentun wrote:
mute wrote:If only I had Excel to actually try it out...

Try it out in Open Office. I don't use gimmicks, so I don't care enough to test it in Open Office myself.

Didn't know about that, will definitely check it out. Thanks.

mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Wastum on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:24 pm

I'll sit down this weekend to try this thing out. Looks very promising!
FURR wrote:i tried to change to ogg but the song was without a stepchart
Wastum
70%
70%

Return to FAQ and Guides