Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ UPDATED 2015-06-06

Answering all questions about r21freak and r21/ITG.
Feel free to ask questions/add information.

Moderator: Admins

Re: Mute's ITG Hacking Guide ~ UPDATED 2015-06-06

Postby dj505 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:40 pm

I think that's the login info for the operating system XD A common username is "root" and a common passwords for said username is just "root" backwards (toor) lol

Not exactly helpful if you can't boot into it, tho. Tbh, I'm stumped. This machine belongs to you, correct? There's a chance you'll have to resort to drastic measures that you probably wouldn't have permission for if the machine is owned by an arcade.
dj505
40%
40%

Postby sinisterroo on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Yeah that's what I thought, it's not exactly helpful information when the machine hangs before I even get to a GUI to do any of that shit lol..

I mean the machine isn't 'mine', it's my s/o's. I'm working on it for her not me lol, but i'll message the guy again and try to find out what other parts he replaced in the machine as well, maybe that'll help some too
sinisterroo
0%
0%

Postby dj505 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Ok, haha. I'll see if I can think of anything. Good luck in the mean time!
dj505
40%
40%

Postby mute on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:51 pm

You are changing the boot priority in the BIOS to boot from USB, correct? In all honesty, it sounds like you are doing something very minor wrong. A video of your failing process from beginning to end would be helpful.
Latest update: 2017-10-23
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Horsey on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:51 pm

dj505 wrote: "root" backwards (toor) lol

this is grooving me up right now
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby vampiricrock on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:29 am

Hay I was wondering if anyone has upgrade there r21 to openitg dv3 I did it few nights ago but now i cant get custom songs and cant change themes anyhelp ?
vampiricrock
20%
20%

Postby dj505 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Had something very similar happen to me when using Concubidated's ITG installer (is that what you used?). I reinstalled from scratch and it worked fine; reformatted the drive and everything. If you didn't use Concubidated's image, then I'm not sure.
dj505
40%
40%

Postby mute on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am

vampiricrock wrote:Hay I was wondering if anyone has upgrade there r21 to openitg dv3 I did it few nights ago but now i cant get custom songs and cant change themes anyhelp ?

This would be the wrong thread to ask in. This is for adding custom content on stock ITG.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Colors on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 pm

I know there hasn't been any posts in this thread in quite some time but I am running out of options and this is driving me crazy. I recently bought an dedicated cabinet about 2-3 months ago. For the record this is my second dedicab I have ever owned, so I am not new to hacking custom content on to the machine. Sadly, I had to sell my older machine after many years of proud ownership.

So when I got this new machine, I was already clear on how to hack it. I came on here, downloaded the Slax installer shown in Mute's guide (thank you Mute) and set up a 8gb usb flash drive with slax-6.1.2. I was using a mac at first and couldn't get the files to install properly on the usb, yet I tried it anyway. The USB showed up in the BIO's menu and I changed it the primary boot and it seemed to work but it would hang before booting Slax.

After that I switched over to a friends PC and from there set up the 8gb USB again, this time using a PC and the UBS installer went smoothly, no errors. To my surprise the machine was no longer recognizing the USB-HDD in the bios menu. It was only showing the main hard drive and nothing else. I tried re-booting numerous times, inserting the flash drive on both the back usb ports and the front. Nothing helped...

So I decided to try a new USB, I got a 16gb usb and tried the same process, making to sure to check the reformat to FAT when using the USB installer included in Mute's guide. Once again I was using a PC for this to make sure that it would set up the USB properly.

Same issue again.. For the record I tried setting up the 8gb usb using Windows 10 and the 16gb usb using windows 8. Both showed a proper installation without any issues so I am really confused.

So my problem is a simple one but incredibly annoying. No matter what I do, when I enter the BIOs menu and go into the boot priority, the USB-HDD is not appearing. It's as if nothing is plugged in at all. I cannot figure out the reason, I have tried everything.

The strange part is even when the usb wasn't installing properly on my mac when I attempted to plug it in to the machine and go into the BIOs settings and change boot priority the usb actually showed up then.. even though the USB installer was giving me issues.

So I am getting seriously desperate at this point.

The machine is already hacked with roughly 4,700 songs and running Simply Love. I want to remove a bunch of these songs though because whoever hacked this machine put tons of shitty folders of songs on here. I do not want to change the theme and it seems like the machine has a built in theme changer and I only tried using it once but I didn't seem to be able to get it to work. Then again back when I use to hack machines they didn't have this feature implemented yet so I don't even know what to do with it.

I wanted to get in the hard drive and look through the themes and how they have it set up but I cannot even boot slax, or even get a Slax set up USB to be recognized by the machine in the BIOs menu. What am I doing wrong?

Please help me out, there really is no photos for me provide since all I am getting is the BIOs menu showing just the HDD of the machine and nothing else. The USB simply does not exist according to the machine..
Colors
0%
0%

Postby Horsey on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Use a different USB, it's not uncommon to have issues with a USB key like what you're describing.
Community Dropbox Thread wrote:http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24873
Horsey
80%
80%

Postby mute on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Could also be how the Slax drive is getting formatted. Make sure it's getting formatted as FAT (Master Boot Record) and not NTFS. Otherwise, just keep trying different drives. The stock USB slots on dedis are old and notoriously picky, as Horsey noted. Generally speaking: the older the drive, the better.

More importantly: I would highly recommend ditching stock ITG and switching to SM5. I've already helped a lot of dedicab owners do this; the process is very effortless and streamlined. There are a million improvements and advantages, one of which is not having to deal with this bullshit "hacking" process. PM me if you're interested.
mute
100%
100%
Former Staff
Former Staff
((( dx_xb )))
((( dx_xb )))
Comp V - 3rd
Comp V - 3rd

Postby Colors on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm literally having no luck with USBs as I have tried so many different ones and I have properly formatted each one and I am having no luck in getting them to work. Stepmania 5 sounds like the way to go for anyone with ownership of the dedicab and I am feeling like hacking should be simply if no other option is available to the user. Mute I have sent you a PM as I am very interested in making the change over to upgrading to SM5.
Colors
0%
0%

Previous

Return to FAQ and Guides