How do pad sensors actually work? [AIJ xpost]

IIDX, Pop'n, PIU, DDR, Stepmania, Drummania, Guitar Hero, etc.

Moderators: Admins, Mods

How do pad sensors actually work? [AIJ xpost]

Postby /// on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:05 am

I'm trying to convince people to give me money so that I can build some sturdy technomotion pads that can withstand the shenanigans of terrible college students. I have very little engineering experience, but I have kind of built a pad before (here's a video of 14-year-old me explaining one such attempt) and I am surrounded by people who are both smarter than me and very helpful.

In an attempt to min-max cost vs. sturdiness so that I don't get laughed out the door for trying to build large, expensive rhythm game peripherals, I am trying to figure out how the ITG/DDR pad sensors work, and maybe explore some alternatives. I would prefer to build a pad in a way that other folks can fuck with it/fix broken stuff without it falling apart, and I'm not sure how well my screwed-in MDF getup of 2013 is going to survive such scrutiny.

I have ten days to come up with a tentative cost and would also like to have some kind of tentative bill of materials so I look like a prepared goofball instead of a regular one. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
<@roothorick> my one girl couldn't keep a job and cycled between homeless and living with her parents
<@roothorick> I don't know how I didn't see the writing on the wall
<Kyzentun> Because she didn't have a wall at the time.
///
90%
90%

Re: How do pad sensors actually work? [AIJ xpost]

Postby Kyzentun on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:36 am

Horsey wrote:So just stop charging money. I'm tired of people making money from something that can be copied with ctrl + c

SM MaxX wrote:wow groove you ziv I just wanted to post frosted butts
Kyzentun
100%
100%
Double Comp I - 2nd
Double Comp I - 2nd

Return to Other Music Games